SOURCE: Edison InternationalDESCRIPTION:
Summer for many is a time to sit back and unwind during the longer days of this season. It‘s a time to rest, try to stay cool and potentially lower your electricity usage and costs.
This can be made even easier by following a few simple tips and participating in SCE’s energy conservation programs.
Here are eight ways to conserve energy and enjoy the summer:
- Set your thermostat to 78 degrees when you are home and to 85 degrees or “off” when you are away.
- Cook with a grill outside, or microwave, to keep your home cooler.
- Give your air conditioner a rest when you can and cool your home with open windows and fans.
- Replace your incandescent lightbulbs with more efficient LEDs.
- Close your blinds to keep out the afternoon heat.
- Plug home electronics into power strips and turn off power strips when equipment is not in use.
- Unplug electronic devices and chargers when they aren’t in use.
- Give your dryer a break and hang dry your clothes.
SCE also offers several energy conservation programs and plans to potentially lower your electricity usage and costs. A few of these include:
- Smart Thermostats. If you purchase a qualifying smart thermostat, you may be eligible to receive up to a $125 sign-up bonus when you install and enroll your smart thermostat, plus up to $60 in bill credits every year.
- Time-of-Use Rate Plans. A Time-of-Use rate plan can provide more control over your bill because rates are based on when and how much energy you use. By reducing usage during higher cost periods during the day, you may save money throughout the year.
- Home Energy Advisor Survey: SCE’s free Home Energy Advisor Survey can help you create a complete energy profile for your home, find energy-saving opportunities around the house and potentially cut your annual electricity costs. SCE customers can access the survey tool by signing into My Account and clicking on the “Savings Center” tab from the main page of SCE.com.
Take steps to enjoy all that California has to offer this summer and conserve energy while you are at it. You can find more energy-saving tips on SCE.com.
KEYWORDS: Energy, Affordable and Clean Energy, Southern California Edison, sustainability, summer