Although many Earth Day activities—whether in your personal life, in your community or within your company—may look and feel differently this year, the COVID-19 crisis has shown us just how precious ‘outside’ really is. And one of the unexpected outcomes of “stay-at-home” orders is a reduction in smog and air pollution, a reduction in river pollution and even endangered sea turtles again laying egg on empty beaches.
As a company committed to sustainability, Essity cares deeply about the future of our planet, so we develop hygiene and health products and services that help customers and consumers reduce their environmental impact. At Essity, we believe Earth Day should be every day.
To commemorate Earth Day’s 50th anniversary, we want to share 50 tips and ideas on how to live “greener.” With many of us staying at home during this time, it’s an ideal opportunity to adopt new ways in our daily life to protect Earth’s environment, natural resources and its future.
These tips, hacks and newly discovered tricks cover just about everything—and could be terrific thought starters for some new projects!
- Recycle cardboard cores of toilet paper and paper towel rolls
- Turn lights out whenever you leave the room or use smart light bulbs
- Unplug cords from outlets when not in use
- Turn off your computer off at the end of your workday
- Use LED lights
- Set your smart TV to go to sleep when you aren’t watching it
- Install a smart thermostat
- Use Energy Star appliances
- Add solar panels to your home
- Keep drapes open during the day to use sunlight to heat a room– or keep closed to cool a room
- Become familiar with your city’s recycling guidelines so you recycle properly
- Compost food scraps and yard waste
- Plant a garden
- Have water-wise plants such as succulents
- Collect rainwater to use for garden and plant watering
- Use organic mulch in your garden to conserve water
- Save meal leftovers instead of throwing away
- Grow your own vegetables or buy locally to reduce use of paper, plastics and shipping material.
- Save veggie scraps to make vegetable stock
- Run all errands (grocery store, pharmacy) in one trip
- Bring your own containers and bags to supermarket
- Buy in bulk to reduce packaging
- Wait until your laundry basket/dishwasher is full to do a load
- Air dry clothes instead of using dryer when possible
- Use wool balls instead of dryer sheets to help clothes dry quicker
- Make your own kitchen cleaning solution using household items like vinegar and water
- Recycle household batteries or use rechargeable batteries instead
- Reuse plastic food storage bags when possible
- Save bread bags and cereal bags for re-use
- Use a metal filter for your coffee pot and reusable k-cups
- Stop rinsing dishes before you put them in the dishwasher
- Install a water filter for “homemade” bottled water
- Ride your bicycle instead of driving your car
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator to save energy
- Bring/use reusable water bottles when going out
- Wash your car when it’s raining
- Donate old furniture, household items and fixtures instead of throwing out
- Donate old clothes instead of throwing them out
- Join a local upcycle group so castaways are “reused”
- Unsubscribe from junk mail (newsletters, catalogs, coupon books)
- Take notes on your computer or smart phone rather than a notepad
- Use an e-reader instead of buying new books
- Scan files instead of faxing them
- Opt to receive credit card and other bills electronically
- Take a shorter shower a few times a week
- Wash clothes in cold or warm water rather than hot water
- Check weather for rain before watering outdoor plants
- Tighten sink faucet so no water leaks
- Use a water-saving shower head
- Lower the temperature on your water heater or install an instant hot water heater
We hope some of these ideas have inspired you to think differently and to make a shift that will have a positive impact later. It’s more important now than ever to heed this year’s Earth Day message—climate action—and engage in Earth-friendly activities at home today to make a difference in our world tomorrow.
Essity is a leading global hygiene and health company. We are dedicated to improving well-being through our products and services. Sales are conducted in approximately 150 countries under the leading global brands TENA and Tork, and other strong brands, such as JOBST, Leukoplast, Libero, Libresse, Lotus, Nosotras, Saba, Tempo, Vinda and Zewa. Essity has about 46,000 employees. Net sales in 2019 amounted to approximately $13.5 billion. The company’s headquarters is located in Stockholm, Sweden, and Essity is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm. Essity breaks barriers to well-being and contributes to a healthy, sustainable and circular society. More information at www.essity.com.
KEYWORDS: OTC:ESSYY, Essity, tork, essity usa