NEW YORK, June 5, 2020 /3BL Media/ - During a time when the need for purpose-driven leadership is most critical, Chief Executives for Corporate Purpose (CECP) announced that Carly Fiorina, Founder and Chairman, Carly Fiorina Enterprises and Unlocking Potential Foundation, has joined the organization’s distinguished Board of Directors. As a CEO-led coalition of more than 200 of the world’s largest companies, CECP empowers companies to drive long-term business success through positive societal impact. CECP believes a company’s social strategy – how it engages with key stakeholders including employees, communities, investors, and customers – determines a company’s success.
“As the world grapples with some of the most tenuous and trying times in history, the need for strong purpose-driven leadership has become even clearer,” said Doug Conant, Founder and CEO, ConantLeadership; former CEO, Campbell Soup Company; Former Chairman, Avon Products; and Chairman, CECP. “Carly is a tested leader and problem solver who has demonstrated the ability to make tough decisions in the short-term as well as bold moves to create strength for the long term. CECP is fortunate to have Carly’s expertise at this time.”
Founded in 1999 by actor and philanthropist Paul Newman and other business leaders, CECP has grown to a movement of more than 200 of the world’s largest companies that represent $6.6 trillion in revenues, $21.2 billion in societal investment, 14 million employees, and $15 trillion in assets under management.
“As we find ourselves amid an unparalleled moment in history, what matters more than ever is powerful and empathetic leadership,” said Daryl Brewster, CEO, CECP. “CECP is grateful to have Carly join its Board of Directors, as now more than ever, we need the pioneers with experience in corporate renewal who can bring us through to the other side. Welcome, Carly. We’re honored to have you join us.”
Carly began her career as a secretary for a nine-person real-estate business and eventually became the first woman ever to lead a Fortune 50 company. When she was recruited to lead HP in 1999, the industry was facing the worst technology recession in 25 years. Under Carly’s leadership, revenue grew, innovation tripled, growth quadrupled, and HP became the 11th largest company in the U.S.
“During these difficult times CECP’s mission is even more important,” said Carly Fiorina, Founder and Chairman Unlocking Potential Foundation “Corporations do incredible work that help communities across this nation and I’m honored to join CECP’s Board of Directors to help advance the social impact corporations have the potential to make.”
After leaving HP, Carly focused her efforts on giving back. Prior to Unlocking Potential, she served as the Chairman of Good360, the world’s largest product philanthropy organization and as Chairman of Opportunity International, a Christian-based organization that lifts millions out of poverty around the globe through micro-finance. She also founded the One Woman Initiative in partnership with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, to engage and empower women in Pakistan, Egypt, India, and the Philippines through increased access to economic opportunity.
Carly joins the current Board of Directors, which includes:
- Chair: Douglas R. Conant, Founder and CEO, ConantLeadership; former CEO, Campbell Soup Company; former Chairman, Avon Products; and Chairman, CECP
- Lynne Doughtie, Chairman and CEO, KPMG LLP
- Theodore Dysart, Vice Chairman, Heidrick & Struggles International, Inc.
- Vince Forlenza, Chairman of the Board, BD
- Richard Edelman, President and CEO, Edelman
- Mauricio Gutiérrez, President and CEO, NRG
- Alan G. Hassenfeld, Chairman, Executive Committee, Hasbro, Inc.
- Fran Horowitz, CEO, Abercrombie & Fitch
- Barbara Humpton, CEO, Siemens USA
- Surya Kant, President of North America, UK and Europe, Tata Consultancy Services
- David Kenny, CEO, Nielsen
- Shelly Lazarus, Chairman Emeritus, Ogilvy & Mather
- Bill McNabb, Former Chairman, Vanguard
- Deanna Mulligan, President and CEO, The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America
- Michael I. Roth, Chairman and CEO, Interpublic Group
- Jennifer Smith Turner, Board of Directors, Newman’s Own Foundation
CECP’s Board of Directors also includes the following Director Emeriti:
- Marilyn Carlson Nelson, Former Chairman and CEO, Carlson Holdings, Inc.
- Kenneth T. Derr, Former Chairman and CEO, Chevron Corporation
- Henrietta Fore, Executive Director, United Nations Children’s Fund
- Peter Malkin, Chairman Emeritus, Empire State Realty Trust
- Harold McGraw, III, Chairman Emeritus, S&P Global
- Paul Newman, Actor and Philanthropist, (January 26, 1925 – September 26, 2008)
- David Rockefeller, Former Chairman & CEO, Chase Manhattan Corporation (June 12, 1915 – March 20, 2017)
- Paul Volcker, Former Chairman, Federal Reserve
- Sanford Weill, Chairman Emeritus, Citigroup, Inc.
- John C. Whitehead, Former Co-Chair, Goldman, Sachs, & Co., Former Deputy Secretary of State (April 2, 1922 – February 7, 2017)
# # #
ABOUT CHIEF EXECUTIVES FOR CORPORATE PURPOSE (CECP)
Chief Executives for Corporate Purpose (CECP) is a CEO-led coalition that believes that a company’s social strategy — how it engages with key stakeholders including employees, communities, investors, and customers —determines company success. Founded in 1999 by actor and philanthropist Paul Newman and other business leaders to create a better world through business, CECP has grown to a movement of more than 200 of the world’s largest companies that represent $6.6 trillion in revenues, $21.2 billion in societal investment, 14 million employees, and $15 trillion in assets under management. CECP helps companies transform their social strategy by providing customized connections and networking, counsel and support, benchmarking and trends, and awareness building and recognition.
KEYWORDS: BOARD OF DIRECTORS, Carly Fiorina, CECP: Chief Executives for Corporate Purpose